Yakima Skybox 18 Series : Carbonite vs SkyboxPro
- 1 Introduction to Yakima Skybox 18 Carbonite
- 2 Introduction to Yakima SkyboxPro 18
- 3 Difference between Skybox 18 Carbonite Vs SkyboxPro 18
- 4 Pros of Skybox 18 Carbonite & SkyboxPro 18
- 5 Cons of Skybox 18 Carbonite & SkyboxPro 18
- 6 Summary
Introduction to Yakima Skybox 18 Carbonite
Yakima Skybox 18 Carbonite provides you a secure and roomy option to take anything or everything long with you for your next adventure tour. The sleek design can easily hold gear for about 4 campers and it is fit enough to hold long 8-10 pair skis and 5-6 snowboards.
The sleek design can easily hold gear for about 4 campers and it is fit enough to hold long 8-10 pair skis and 5-6 snowboards.
|Amazon Rating||Reviewed By||Reviewed Date||Price|
|Roof Racks Centre||September 21 , 2015||$$$|
All your items are safe and secure inside this cargo box. It is best suited for travel and camping.
What should be considered when choosing Yakima Skybox 18 Carbonite?
If you are going for camping and needs your skis or snowboards to take with you then it is the best option. It can hold up gears for 4 campers and easily fit skis and snowboards up to 215 cm.
It can hold up gears for 4 campers and easily fit skis and snowboards up to 215 cm.
- It has a double side opening which provides easier access on the either side of your vehicle
- It fits Yakima square, round, aerodynamics and factory crossbars
- SupeLatch ™ security ensuring that the lid is sure to its base as well as your gear is safe
- It has internal lid stiffeners
It is available in five sizes which are Lo, 12, 16, 18, and 21 cubic feet. Its dimension is length 92.00 inches, width 36.00 inches and height 16.00 inches and weighs about 52 pounds.
Super Latch security ensures that lid is secured to its base and all your stuff remains same. Also, new look is 50% stiffer than previous models of Yakima which makes it to vibrate less. Also, it is very easy to open and close the lid with one hand.
The Yakima Skybox 18 is very much durable and versatile. It is made in the USA with up to 80% recycled material which makes it lightweight. Skybox is also resistant in any weather condition and can withstand snow, rain, hail, precipitation or heat. It is also resistant from any kind of wear and tear.
Skybox is also resistant in any weather condition and can withstand snow, rain, hail, precipitation or heat. It is also resistant from any kind of wear and tear.
For installation of Skybox 18 Carbonite, the base rack system is required. There is no assembly required for this box and it can install or removed tools-free from the vehicle. It does not take more than 5 minutes to install it on your vehicle. It features an easy mounting system which has been designed for easy fit on the Whispar roof racks, Yakima bars or
It does not take more than 5 minutes to install it on your vehicle.
It features an easy mounting system which has been designed for easy fit on the Whispar roof racks, Yakima bars or Thule roof rack or factory installed system of crossbars.
Design and Appearance
Skybox 18 Carbonite has new carbonite dimpled textured finish which looks great on any vehicle. It also has a nice appearance and aerodynamic.
It has a sleek automotive finish which makes it scratch resistance.
SKS Locks are included with Yakima Skybox 18 Carbonite.
Introduction to Yakima SkyboxPro 18
It is best suited for camp, hunt and fish, travel and multi-sport.
It is available in gray and black color.
What should be considered when choosing Yakima SkyboxPro 18?
Yakima SkyboxPro is best for adding 18 cubic feet of storage space to any vehicle which is very much ideal if you are going for a camping trip with mountain bikes or if you are going for the road tripping to a stage race.
The clamping system provides with Yakima SkyboxPro.
- Sleek Automotive finish
- Aerodynamic design reduces drag and results in less noise as well as more durability
- Rapid installation which is easy
- Stiff lid which reduces vibration and helps you to open or close it using one hand only
- Dual side opening
- Easy to load and unload with wide-mouth opening
- Good security using SuperLatch design which can be operated using one hand and ensure that the lid is locked
- Fits on almost all crossbars, round, square or factory-rack crossbars. It can also fit in the crossbar as short as 24 inches.
It is provided with the SuperLatch security, ensuring your lid is attached securely to its base and thus making your luggage and gears safe.
SkyboxPro 18 cargo box is made using 80% recycled material and it is made in the USA. It is very much durable to any weather condition and free from wear and tear.
The prerequisite for its installation is that our vehicle or car should have back rack system, it is fully assembled and requires tool-free installation. The average time to install it on your car is just 5 minutes.
Design and Appearance
Yakima SkyboxPro has a high gloss automotive quality finish for complementing your vehicle.
Its sleek and aerodynamic design help to reduce the drag. It is designed with the internal lid stiffeners which add the durability and easy for opening and closing it.
SKS Locks are also included with SkyboxPro 18 cargo box
Difference between Skybox 18 Carbonite Vs SkyboxPro 18
- Yakima Skybox 18 Carbonite is only available in one color, whereas Yakima SkyboxPro 18 is available in two colors – black and gray.
- Yakima Skybox 18 Carbonite has textured finish, whereas Yakima SkyboxPro 18 has high gloss automotive finish
- Yakima SkyBoxPro Cargo is available at about $6xx but the Skybox 18 Carbonite cargo box is available in $5xx.
- Skybox Carbonite is mainly suited for SUVs while SkyboxPro 18 cargo box is suited for other kinds of vehicles.
- Skybox 18 Carbonite is perfect for up to 4 campers while SkyboxPro 18 is perfect up to 5 campers.
- Yakima Skybox Carbonite has got more good reviews than SkyboxPro 18 Cargo box
- SkyboxPro 18 can accommodate up to 6 skies but Skybox 18 can accommodate only 5 skies.
Pros of Skybox 18 Carbonite & SkyboxPro 18
- You can open the lid towards both sides which can provide easy access to your accessories. It will also make you easy to load or unload the accessory.
- The lid is very much still which makes it very easy to close unlike the flimsy boxes which were used before.
- Installation for both Skybox 18 Carbonite and SkyboxPro 18 is very easy and tool-free.
- Both of these cargo boxes works well with any kind of rack-rectangular, round or square.
- Dual side opening allows you to open box from left or right.
- Good aerodynamic design results in reduced drag, less noise and more stability and this result in your saving on fuel.
- It helps you to keep all your dirty air out of the car.
- Both are made from 80% recycled materials.
- Both have SKS Locks included as an accessory.
- Available in various sizes to suit your need.
- You can store about 6 pairs of ski and 4 boards of the snowboard.
- Yakima Skyboxes are weather resistance and can be used in any weather condition like rain, hot sun, snow, precipitation or hail.
- Both Skybox 18 Carbonite & SkyboxPro 18 cargo box are cost effective.
- The increase in fuel consumption is less than 5 percent.
- Both of them produces minimal noise.
Cons of Skybox 18 Carbonite & SkyboxPro 18
- The total load limit is only 52 pounds including the weight of the box for both Skybox 18 Carbonite and SkyboxPro 18.
- If you use the full capacity, then you need to use your both hands for opening the lid of cargo box.
- The design of lock makes it difficult to drive with the box open. You can see a bright red leash fixed until you close and lock the box properly.
- Many times, the glassy finish shows scratches.
- Some users have reported lock problems for these models.
- You should never exceed the load limit of SkyBox as it might break your roof racks.
- Yakima Skybox 18 Carbonite & SkyboxPro 18 is not so large to accommodate the pair of skies which are more than 170 cms in length. When you compare the box capacity, then you will notice that it has less capacity as compared to the Skybox 21 which provides the capacity of 21 cubic feets.
- The key of these models is so soft that can bend easily.
You can easily turn your car into a gear-hauling machine by installing the spacious SkyboxPro 18 or Skybox 18 Carbonite. It will help you to keep all your dirty accessories out of your car.
These boxes are made to withstand any kind of climate and it keeps your items safe and dry inside the box.
You might not face any driving issues as there is a minimal drag due to wind. If there is strong wind, then there might be the possibility that it will drag your vehicle and cause noise which might be troublesome for the driver.
Roof rack of your vehicle should also be versatile and compatible to fit the cargo box. If you are very much obsessed about your budget and do not want to spend much on your cargo box then this can be a good choice for you.
But, you should not go for the less specialized product in order to save your money as it might cause trouble to you later.
Yakima products are known for good and high-quality accessories and they provide the best product according to your budget. They have good customer reviews and ratings are also high. So, you can’t resist yourself from buying it.
Choosing the right cargo box should never be a problem for any kind of car model you own. You do not need to wait for the installation of the Skybox 18 Carbonite or SkyboxPro 18 Cargo Box as they can be installed within few minutes.
Storing any box on the top of your car is always a difficult task.
But, with the help of Yakima cargo boxes, you can now place your luggage on the cargo box and do not miss the excitement and fun of your trip or vacation.
Yakima ensures that you will carry a lot of wonderful memories back from your trip.